- LAUSD 2023-2024 Comprehensive Assessment Program (Interoffice Corr. 6/26/23)
- Technology Requirements
- Clearing the Browsing Data (Cache) Eng/Span
- mCLASS Interactive Skills Map
- mCLASS Caregiver Hub (Eng/Span)
23-24 Assessment Windows:
- DIBELS 8th Edition
- BOY: Aug 21 – Oct 6 MOY: Nov 27 – Feb 9 EOY: Apr 15 – Jun 5
- BOY: Aug 21 – Oct 13 MOY: Nov 27 – Feb 16 EOY: Apr 9 – Jun 5
Click here to go back to the LAUSD homepage.
One Amplify app for everything.
Amplify has made some changes so that you can log into Schoology using your LAUSD Single Sign-On (SSO) to access mCLASS. One click will get you to the mCLASS Portal and to the mCLASS Assessment. Schoology Support Document.
Attention iOS device users:
You must sync your device before upgrading your iOS version. If you update your iOS version before syncing, all unsynced mCLASS data
will be lost since any Apple-related software updates clear Safari’s cache memory. If your device prompts you to upgrade your iOS version, tap cancel or close to decline and then sync your assessments.
We encourage you to follow best practices and sync your assessment data regularly. Establishing a regular sync routine helps ensure that your assessment data isn’t lost due to device changes, software updates, or any unforeseen issues.
- DIBELS 8 Help Guide
- mCLASS Classes and Groups Help – Refer to our mCLASS Help system for instructions on using Amplify’s enrollment tools for administrators and other staff with school-wide or system access. If you need to help teachers administer mCLASS or assist substitute teachers with assessing a class, you can add yourself to a class. You can also create student groups to organize students within classes or to share students across classes with other staff.
- Manually entering MAZE Results on mCLASS
- Oral Language Scoring Guide
How mCLASS® Instruction works
All schools in LAUSD have access to mCLASS® Instruction, which can help you use your benchmark data to individualize instruction for each student. You can access the following tools at Amplify Home > My Assessments > DIBELS 8th Edition (in the upper-left corner you will see an Instruction button). View our Instruction webcast for overviews of the tools.
- mCLASS® Item-Level Advisor automatically highlights important patterns, offering detailed analysis and suggesting next steps for targeted instruction.
- mCLASS® Small-Group Advisor uses results to create optimal groups of students with similar needs and selects targeted instructional activities at the appropriate level.
- mCLASS® Home Connect® allows you to easily provide parents with progress reports and specific activities to help bolster students’ learning at home.
Additional Support & Videos
Student Online Assessments
How to enable the mCLASS Student Online Assessments Video
- MAZE Online (required for DIBELS 8 composite)
- Text Reading Online (TRO) is a new computer-administered assessment for grades 1-6 that measures oral reading fluency, accuracy, and comprehension to evaluate students’ reading proficiency against grade level expectations. TRO employs innovative voice recognition technology that automatically and immediately scores the recording of students reading as they progress through the assessment. REMINDER: Students must read out loud while reading.
- Decoding Online (DO) is a new computed-administered assessment for grades 1-6 that measures students’ skill in reading grade-level words in isolation. The results help educators plan decoding instruction by providing information about the specific word types where students may need more practice at a given point in time. Click HERE to view online help for DO.
- Spelling Online (available in Spanish)- In the Spelling assessment, students hear a target word and use letter tiles to spell the word. These words include the phoneme-grapheme correspondences that students at each grade level are expected to learn over the course of a year based upon the scopes and sequences of published reading and spelling curricula. The final score is the number of words spelled correctly, with partial credit provided for correct spelling sequences within a word. This makes the Spelling measure more sensitive to students’ actual spelling skills, giving more information about their progress.
- Vocabulary Online (available in Spanish)- In the Vocabulary assessment, students demonstrate their knowledge of grade-specific words, as well as their skill at deriving meaning from context. The assessment covers words that are high utility (i.e. Tier 2) and content specific (i.e. Tier 3). Depending on grade level, students may be asked to answer questions about the word, to fill in a blank correctly with the word, or to match the word with its definition.
DIBELS 8 Progress Monitoring
- Progress monitoring materials are included in the DIBELS 8 benchmark booklets.
- CORRECTED Grade 5 PM Form 1 “Sam the Cat” – Select the passage in the drop down listed as “Form 1_Downloaded PDF”
TRC Progress Monitoring
- Teachers should add the titles they will use to their Book List on mCLASS (located at the top right by the Support button). If the publisher of the books you use for TRC progress monitoring made digital copies of materials available, you will be sharing the digital book as you assess your student remotely.
- Reading/Learning A-Z books are on mCLASS (2300+ titles). LAUSD purchased for all schools. Teachers will need to add them to their Book List on mCLASS.
Once you identify each student’s instructional needs, learn how to adapt the recommended instruction within mCLASS for remote learning.
How to Deliver mCLASS® Small Group Instruction Remotely
To help you continue building students’ literacy skills during school closures, we developed guidance on how to deliver mCLASS Small Group Instruction remotely.
How to Deliver mCLASS® Intervention Remotely
If you use mCLASS® Intervention to support struggling readers, watch videos and read guidance on how to continue serving students via your virtual learning platform. Learn more here.
Skill Maps & Instructional Resources
The mCLASS® Interactive Skill Maps help teachers and caregivers identify early elementary students’ reading needs and find high-quality resources for addressing them.
Dual Language Schools
Atlas (TRC) Español training on MyPLN – Keyword: TRC Español
Office Hour Recording on Remote Assessment (TRC Español)
Assessments videos for Spanish:
- Spelling Español Online– In the Spelling assessment, students hear a target word and use letter tiles to spell the word. These words include the phoneme-grapheme correspondences that students at each grade level are expected to learn over the course of a year based upon the scopes and sequences of published reading and spelling curricula. The final score is the number of words spelled correctly, with partial credit provided for correct spelling sequences within a word. This makes the Spelling measure more sensitive to students’ actual spelling skills, giving more information about their progress.
- Vocabulary Español Online– In the Vocabulary assessment, students demonstrate their knowledge of grade-specific words, as well as their skill at deriving meaning from context. The assessment covers words that are high utility (i.e. Tier 2) and content specific (i.e. Tier 3). Depending on grade level, students may be asked to answer questions about the word, to fill in a blank correctly with the word, or to match the word with its definition.
If teachers need support during this challenging time, support personnel like Substitutes, Pool Teachers, TAs, Instructional Aides, and Paraprofessionals may assist with assessing a class.
Watch this short video on Adding Support Personnel to mCLASS and/or follow the steps below.
Add support personnel to mCLASS– This step can only be completed by an administrator or a designee at the site with System Access on mCLASS.
- To add support personnel, log in to the mCLASS portal via Schoology
- Click on Admin at the top right
- Select Staff
- Select the school from the drop-down menu
- Search the last name to ensure the staffer has not already been added
- Click the blue Add Staff button
- Enter all required information
- If the staffer has a record at another school, the information must be entered identically, including capitalizations)
- Double-check for typos (especially the email address)
Assign Staff to Class– Follow the steps on this document to Assign Staff to Class. This step can only be completed by an administrator or a designee at the site with System Access on mCLASS.
Connect to mCLASS apps from Schoology– Once the individual is added to the school site and class on mCLASS, he/she will be able to directly connect with their SSO from Schoology. If the Amplify app is not already in Schoology, watch this video to install the Amplify app to your Schoology account.
Text Reading Comprehension (TRC)
How TRC (Text Reading & Comprehension) works
After completing the mCLASS foundational skills assessment, teachers record observations with a running record to quickly analyze reading comprehension. They assign reading levels and monitor progress to support mastery of increasingly complex texts.
- Quickly log observations and easily identify error patterns for any level.
- Compare student progress with predictive, research-based benchmark goals.
- Translate assessment data into instructional support.
- Track progress and target instruction to individual student needs.
- mCLASS:Reading 3D Brochure
- mCLASS:Reading 3D Product Page
- Administering TRC
- TRC NOTE: LAUSD users will access Demo Class from the mCLASS Assessment app via Schoology.
- Using TRC Data to Inform Instruction
- TRC Reading Record Coding Guide
- TRC and Progress Monitoring
- TRC Progress Monitoring- Adding a Book Guide