Welcome to Amplify CKLA!
Amplify CKLA is the only Oregon-approved elementary ELA curriculum truly built on the Science of Reading.
Not only that, it helps all teachers implement the Oregon English Language Arts and Literacy Standards by translating the science of reading into strong instructional resources. As a result, teachers can fully focus on their students and the kind of teaching they love.
Virtual Caravan Stop Ahead!
If this is your first stop on your virtual caravan, start with the video presentations below.
Watched them already? Click here to skip ahead.
Virtual Caravan Stop
Amplify CKLA for Grades K–2
After watching the K–2 video below, scroll down to learn even more, download resources, and access a demo.
Amplify CKLA for Grades 3–5
After watching the 3–5 video below, scroll down to learn even more, download resources, and access a demo.
What it is
Amplify CKLA is a core ELA program for grades K–5 that delivers:
- A unique research-based approach truly built on the Science of Reading.
- A combination of explicit foundational skills with meaningful knowledge building.
- Embedded support and differentiation that gets all students reading grade-level texts together.
- Opportunities for students to see the strengths and experiences that all people share while also celebrating each others’ unique identities and experiences.
- Equitable and authentic Spanish language arts instruction with Amplify Caminos.
How it works
Amplify CKLA teaches both foundational skills and background knowledge in K–2 and combines them in 3–5, as required by the science of reading.
- In grades K–2, students complete one full lesson that builds foundational reading skills, as well as one full lesson that builds background knowledge.
- In grades 3–5, student complete one integrated lesson that combines skills and knowledge with increasingly complex texts, close reading, and a greater writing emphasis.
See pages 30-65 of the CKLA Program Guide below to learn more.
What students explore
Amplify CKLA builds knowledge coherently across subjects and grades.
Students make connections from year-to-year by exploring grade-appropriate subject-area knowledge and vocabulary in history, science, literature, and the arts while learning to read, write, and think creatively and for themselves.
Download the at-a-glance resources below to learn more.
What students read
Amplify CKLA puts a variety of texts in the hands of students every day to build and strengthen background knowledge and vocabulary, listening and reading comprehension, and decoding and fluency skills.
More than that, we ensure the texts students read represent the world around them. With a diverse range of authors, topics, and characters, all students have ample access to both windows and mirrors. Our texts include:
- Authentic books.
- Authentic text passages.
- Student Readers.
- Novel Guides (grades 3–5).
Download the lists below to explore specific grade-level texts.
Access and equity
We believe we have a responsibility to provide literacy instruction that gives every student the same opportunity to succeed and excel.
We know that early reading affects achievement throughout school and beyond—well into college and career. Yet most literacy programs continue to fall short of supporting early literacy success. That’s why we’re so proud that CKLA is helping close the reading gap between students within diverse communities.
Explore how we make learning equitable for all learners with the resources below.
Built on the Science of Reading
Watching students learn to read: magic. Knowing how they get there: science.
As you consider your next core ELA program, it’s critically important to understand what the Science of Reading really means and what it tells us about how to teach more effectively. Unlike other programs, Amplify CKLA was built upon these insights and practices, making it easier for teachers to implement this proven approach.
Download the resources below to dive deeper into the Science of Reading.
Supports Orton-Gillingham and LETRS
Amplify CKLA aligns with the instructional principles recommended by Orton-Gillingham and LETRS.
- Structured–Concepts are taught through consistent routines
- Sequential–Concepts are taught in a logical, well-planned sequence
- Systematic–Phonemes are taught from simplest to most complex
- Explicit–Decoding and encoding concepts are taught directly and explicitly
- Multi-sensory–Instruction is delivered through visual, auditory, and kinesthetic-tactile pathways
- Cumulative–Concepts are applied in decodable, connected texts with constant review and reinforcement
A comprehensive and cohesive solution
A strong literacy program is not just about a reading program or an assessment tool: it brings together curriculum, instruction, regular practice, intervention, and assessments.
Amplify has brought these components together in our early literacy suite of curriculum, ensure that you have what you need for multi-tiered support.
CKLA and mCLASS
CKLA connects to our comprehensive diagnostic universal screener called mCLASS.
CKLA and Amplify Reading
CKLA connects to our adaptive reading practice program called Amplify Reading.
CKLA and Language Studio
CKLA aligns with Language Studio–our ELD companion program for grades K–2.
CKLA and Writing Studio
CKLA aligns with Writing Studio–our writing companion program for grades K–5.
Ready to explore on your own? Follow the instructions below to access your demo account.
Explore the CKLA Teacher Resource Site
First, watch the quick navigation video to the right. Then, click the “Access CKLA Teacher Resource Site” button to log in.
- Click the CKLA Teacher Resource Site button
- Select Log in with Amplify.
- Enter this username: email@example.com
- Enter this password: AmplifyNumber1
- Select the desired grade level