The Core Knowledge Foundation & Amplify CKLA
Having a strong foundation of both foundational skills and background knowledge sets students up for a lifetime of reading and academic success. This philosophy drives the mission and the work of the Core Knowledge Foundation (CKF). Amplify partnered with CKF to develop our Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA) curriculum, which is the premier High-Quality Instructional Material (HQIM) offering among elementary language arts programs.
What is the Core Knowledge Foundation?
The Core Knowledge Foundation is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization built around the Science of Reading and is designed “to advance excellence and equity in education for all children.”
To do this, the CKF developed the Core Knowledge Sequence, which outlines the knowledge and skills that all children in the U.S. should learn, and is content-specific, cumulative, and coherent. Based on this mission and philosophy, Amplify partnered with the CKF to develop our CKLA curriculum. Amplify CKLA, now in its second edition, has continued to grow and improve to better meet the needs of the elementary classroom.
Only a well-rounded, knowledge-specific curriculum can impart needed knowledge to all children and overcome inequality of opportunity.
E. D. Hirsch, Jr., founder of the Core Knowledge Foundation
What are the distinguishing features of Amplify CKLA?
Two ideas drove the development of Amplify CKLA: In order for students to actually understand what they’re learning, they need deep background knowledge and vocabulary to pull from, and decoding and encoding must be automatic and fluent. To help students achieve this:
- The foundational skills instruction in Amplify CKLA is explicit.
- The connection between oral and written language is supported.
- Vocabulary is learned in context and through multiple exposures.
Amplify CKLA, 2nd Edition
Amplify CKLA is now in its second edition and maintains a foundation in the Science of Reading, while featuring new content and significant enhancements. Key updates from the 1st Edition to the 2nd Edition include:
- The development of the digital experience, a brand-new K–5 digital learning experience.
- Integrated grades 3–5 that better reflect students’ learning trajectories.
- New content in all grades and new units in grades 4 and 5.
- In-the-moment differentiation and English language learner supports.
- Updated Skills Readers with beautiful new, diverse illustrations showcasing the content.
Additionally, Amplify provides professionally printed guides, readers, consumables, letter cards, flip books, posters, and hands-on phonics materials like Chaining Folders, making it easier for teachers to use the Amplify CKLA curriculum with their students.