Amplify CKLA Community Review Site
Welcome to the Amplify CKLA community review site for Idaho Falls School District. This site is designed to help you learn about Amplify CKLA—a core English Language Arts curriculum for Grades K–5.
Your district leaders want to hear from you! Please share your thoughts by completing this district survey.
- What is Amplify CKLA?
- What do students learn?
- Print materials
- Student Readers
- Student Activity Books
- Digital materials
- Knowledge Builder videos for grades K–2
- Recorded daily read-alouds for grades K–2
- Sound Library for grades K-2
- Foundational Skills Boost for grades 1–3
- Vocab App for grades 3-5
- Quests for grades 3–5
- Support your child at home
- Read and talk at home
- Skills practice at home
- Program access
- Where to go for help
What is Amplify CKLA?
Amplify Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA) is a core English language arts program for Grades K-5 that combines phonics with rich texts designed to build content knowledge—so that students learn to read and read to learn at the same time. It is also a blended program, which means your student will be interacting with both print and digital materials.
- In Grades K–2, students complete one full lesson each day that builds foundational reading skills, as well as one full lesson that builds background knowledge.
- In Grades 3–5, foundational reading skills and background knowledge are taught together through one integrated lesson each day.
There’s no better way to understand the power of Amplify CKLA than seeing it in action. Watch Ms. Lehman’s second-graders in the video below as they learn how to decode and spell words with the long /ā/ sound.
What do students learn?
Amplify CKLA is an evidence-based program built on research about how students learn to read. This collection of research is often referred to as the Science of Reading or The Simple View of Reading. It tells us that:
- Students learn to read best when they are taught foundational reading skills (like phonics) and comprehension skills (like vocabulary and background knowledge) at the same time. That’s why Amplify includes a combination of skills and concepts in every unit.
- The more students know about a particular topic, the better they are able to comprehend what they read. That’s why Amplify CKLA incorporates rich stories, texts, and articles about a variety of topics throughout the program.
Because students learn so much with Amplify CKLA, it can be hard to review it all at once. To make it easier for you to review the program, we’ve provided links to a variety of resources below, including unit overviews and text lists by grade.
Amplify believes in empowering teachers to make the best instructional decisions for their students. For that reason, we include a variety of optional materials for teachers to use at their own discretion. For example: Trade Books are an optional tool that teachers can choose to use to extend a lesson. These books do not come with the program and only serve as a suggestion to assist teachers in finding additional material that ties to the unit topic.
Grade K Unit Overviews and Text List
Grade 1 Unit Overviews and Text List
Grade 2 Unit Overviews and Text List
Grade 3 Unit Overviews and Text List
Grade 4 Unit Overviews and Text List
Grade 5 Unit Overviews and Text List
These readers are uniquely designed to provide intensive practice while reading simple but authentic stories. All readers are also available as ebooks and audiobooks on the teacher resource site.
In grades K-2, these readers are chapter books that allow students to practice just-learned sound-spellings within an authentic reading experience that incorporates compelling plots and interesting characters.
In grades 3-5, readers develop close reading and other literacy skills through a selection of diverse, content-rich literary and informational texts.
Student Activity Books
Part of the daily lessons, these activity pages ask students to respond to the text they’ve read and apply skills and knowledge. They also include assessments that track students’ skills development, to which teachers have access.
We are excited to announce that students will be able to access multimedia resources and engage in a new digital experience on the CKLA Hub. Unlike ever before, students can access digital resources independently from anywhere, taking full advantage of the instructional multimedia experiences that Amplify CKLA has to offer. Students can access the Hub at home, in the classroom, and on the go, making it ideal for remote learning. It’s compatible with laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, and desktops—we’ve also optimized it for mobile devices.
Knowledge Builder videos for grades K–2
Each Knowledge Domain starts with a Knowledge Builder video: a short, fun, animated story that enriches the lesson and motivates students with new characters, places, and concepts.
Recorded daily read-alouds for grades K–2
Teachers and students will have access to video recordings of all K–2 Knowledge Read-Alouds with pictures from the Flip Books.
Sound Library for grades K-2
The Sound Library uses audio sounds, catchy songs, and animated articulation videos to help students learn and master sounds.
Foundational Skills Boost for grades 1–3
Designed for grades 1–3, these video-based, self-guided lessons target critical foundational skills from the previous year’s instruction in order to fill in any gaps. They offer approximately nine weeks of instruction organized as daily lessons, with additional teacher-led small-group activities and family resources.
Vocab App for grades 3-5
The Vocabulary App is designed for independent practice with vocabulary. Students can use the Vocabulary App for game-like activities that challenge them.
Quests for grades 3–5
Each of the grade levels in 3–5 contains a Core Quest. In these special units, all the normal rules of the classroom change, and students engage with language in surprising new ways. For example, in grade 5, they learn to love the dense Shakespearian language of A Midsummer Night’s Dream through imagery, close reading, and performance.
Support your child at home
Read and talk at home
- If possible, read with your child daily; even 15 minutes of reading together each day can make a huge impact.
- You can read sections of the text aloud together. If your child struggles, you might try reading the text to them with expression, and then have them read it aloud back to you.
- For additional practice, watch the recorded read-alouds with your K-2 student or have your grade 3-5 student use the Vocabulary App.
- Find moments to discuss what they are reading and discovering. Examples of questions you could ask: What stood out to you from what you read today? Were any sentences or words confusing? What was most surprising? What do you think the writer was trying to communicate? Do you agree with the writer’s ideas or descriptions? What connections can you make between what you are reading and your own life or other issues?
- Listen to your child read their written responses or have them share with a friend over video chat.
- We recommend reviewing this Protecting Kids Online article by the Federal Trade Commission addressing digital safety.
Skills practice at home
We’ve developed a set of resources for families to use with their students that includes instructions and materials to teach and practice grade-level phonics at home. Resources include sound videos, Readers, and a how-to video with editable instructions that family members can customize to meet individual student needs.
Before accessing the program, watch the below video to learn even more about Amplify CKLA! Then scroll down and follow the login instructions provided.
Take a closer look at the program with the Idaho Falls Community demo account! Follow these simple instructions to access our program digitally.
- Click the CKLA Teacher Resource Site button.
- Select Log in with Amplify.
- Enter this username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter this password: Amplify1-ifckla
- Select the desired grade level.
Where to go for help
Whether you have questions about your technology or want to know more about the program, Amplify’s Support Team is here to help!
Contact Support via telephone at (833) 97-Care-8 (833-972-2738) or email@example.com.
Our support hours are Monday – Friday, 7 am – 9 PM ET, and Sunday, 10 – 6 ET.