Welcome, North Carolina educators!
North Carolina’s Department of Public Instruction (DPI) selected mCLASS DIBELS 8th Edition as the state’s K-3 Literacy Assessment. mCLASS is an integrated literacy system based on the science of reading. mCLASS has been revised and upgraded from the assessment NC districts have used in the past, based on the latest research and the science of reading. It is a valid and reliable assessment, supporting universal literacy screening, screening for risk of dyslexia, and progress monitoring.
Topic: NCDPI / Amplify Webinar #4 Progress Monitoring and Zones of GrowthJoin us on October 21, 2021 at 3:30 ESTWe will be covering progress monitoring best practices with DIBELS 8 and student goal setting in Zones of Growth.
Register in advance for this webinar:After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Amplify and DPI will be providing both technical and content specific webinars in the upcoming weeks. Please register for these sessions below.
Posted within the online course
September 22, 3:30 PM Eastern
Topic: NCDPI/Amplify mCLASS Teacher Reporting and Instruction
Register in advance for this webinar.
September 23, 3:30 PM Eastern
Topic:NCDPI/Amplify mCLASS Leader and Administrator Reporting
Register in advance for this webinar.
Technology Orientation recording
This session is designed for:
District and school administrators, technology leads, Power School data team members and Read to Achieve contacts
Links to training documents:
- Slide deck from DIBELS 8 Content and Implementation
- NC DPI and Amplify FAQ
- Amplify technology requirements
- PowerSchool for RtA
- “Add a group” feature in mCLASS
- DPI mCLASS Extract troubleshooting tips
Contact Amplify Customer Care with any questions: email@example.com or (800) 823-1969
Built for North Carolina Educators
DPI is committed to provide equitable, inclusive literacy instruction for all by:
- Aligning core curriculum, instruction and assessments with Science of Reading.
- Providing appropriate literacy interventions to address difficulty with reading development.
- Implementing practices based on the science of reading in every classroom every day.
- Providing aligned resources to parents, guardians and family members.
mCLASS is built on decades of research at the Center on Teaching and Learning at the University of Oregon, a national center for early childhood assessment and instruction. The measures are already in use in many districts in North Carolina. With the additional mCLASS suite including reporting, grouping, lessons and caregiver supports DPI’s early literacy goals for North Carolina students will be met.
mCLASS DIBELS 8th Edition provides a sense of comfort and security for your teachers by showing them exactly how to monitor and support every student in their classroom.
What you can look forward to with the implementation of mCLASS:
- Familiar, robust classroom and administrator-level reports
- Guidance on remote administration
- Efficient one-minute measures
- Instruction that highlights observed patterns from students’ assessment results and recommends activities to target skill deficits
- Additional text and comprehension measures already within the mCLASS platform for a broader view of students’ learning.
North Carolina Requirements
DIBELS 8th Edition fulfills legislative requirements for K-3 students with sub test measures for:
● Phonemic awareness
For the above reasons, the state will begin using DIBELS 8 data for EVAAS purposes effective 21-22 from BOY-EOY for all K-2 teachers. Third grade will continue to use BOG-EOG for EVAAS.
Amplify Assessment Invalidation Process
- Teacher requests approval for an invalidation from school-level administration and provides a valid reason for requesting the invalidation.
- School-level administrator reaches out to the district to approve the invalidation.
- District reaches out to Amplify to request the invalidation. (Note: In the future there will be a secure web form.)
Please provide the following information in your email:
Class Name (as seen in mCLASS):
Student initials only:
Assessment(s) to be invalidated:
- Amplify has the score invalidated.
- Invalidation reports are reconciled with NCDPI after each benchmark window.
Remote Assessment Guidance
As you plan for the new school year, we at Amplify and the team at the University of Oregon are here to provide continued guidance and support around collecting and using DIBELS 8th Edition data.
This guide, offers recommendations for beginning-of-year (BOY) benchmark assessment with DIBELS as well as tips for interpreting benchmark data during our unpredictable school disruptions.
Quick and actionable reports provide detailed insight into students’ reading development across foundational literacy skills for classroom teachers and literacy specialists, principals and district leaders, and parents and guardians at home.
mCLASS gives you instant results and clear next steps for each student.
The mCLASS Home Connect website houses literacy resources for parents and caregivers, including at-home lessons organized by skill to help students at home during remote learning. Our mCLASS parent/caregiver letters in English and Spanish ensure that families know how to best support their child.
DPI has developed a robust training plan
- Each Public School Unit (PSU) will send representatives to a Train the Trainer session.
- The number of representatives will be determined by your PSU’s size, as calculated by ADM.
- Each educator will have access to the mCLASS DIBELS 8th Edition Online Course
mCLASS DIBELS 8th Edition Online Course: As part of the implementation of mCLASS with DIBELS 8th Edition for the 21-22 school year, all North Carolina educators will have access to a self-paced online course as a support for a successful implementation and to serve as a resource throughout the school year. Learn how to : Administer and score mCLASS with DIBELS 8th Edition Interpret student data Identify students’ instructional need Access skills-focused lessons Plan differentiated instruction. Please contact your district for access information to the online course. Districts received the link for the course on June 21, 2021 from Amy Rhyne in the Office of Early Learning.
In addition, PSUs may purchase additional trainings.
- Amplify offers in-person training options if the PSU agrees to Amplify covid safety guidelines and the date is available for in-person training.
Note: In-person training dates fill up quickly so it is important to share potential dates early and clear those dates with the Amplify PD team to ensure availability.
- Amplify also offers remote sessions.
For more information on additional PD, please reach out to Jennifer Eason by completing the form at the bottom of this page.
Science of Reading Resources
To continue your own professional learning around the science of reading, subscribe and join with your colleagues.
Science of Reading: The Podcast delivers the latest insights from researchers and practitioners in early reading. Further your professional development with each episode by subscribing and downloading them now.
Science of Reading: The Community is built for those committed to fostering conversation around the science of reading and implementing best practices in the classroom (including the virtual classroom).
Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in learning more?
Amplify and NC DPI are collaborating on this FAQ. Please continue to check back, as we are updating this based on questions we receive about mCLASS and the current NC implementation.
Reach out to your Account Executive, Jennifer Eason, with any questions about using mCLASS as your diagnostic assessment by filling out the form to the right.