Welcome, Amplify CKLA® families!
Amplify welcomes you and your learner to the CKLA program for the new school year. We are very excited to provide you with the learning opportunities through CKLA. Below are resources and helpful guides for enabling your student to have the most productive experience with our platform throughout the year.
- What is Amplify CKLA?
- Getting started
- Logging in
- Materials overview
- Student Readers
- Knowledge Builder videos for grades K–2
- Sound Library for grades K-2
- Vocab App for grades 3-5
- Student Activity Books
- Unit Overviews
- CKLA Hub for students
- Foundational Skills Boost
- Recorded daily read-alouds
- Where to go for help
What is Amplify CKLA?
Amplify Core Knowledge Language Arts® (CKLA) is a language arts program for grades PreK-5 that combines a multi-sensory approach to phonics with rich texts carefully sequenced to build content knowledge—so that students learn to read and read to learn at the same time.
Every day in grades PreK–2, students complete one full lesson that builds foundational reading skills, as well as one full lesson that builds background knowledge. In Grades 3–5, students start to master the skills of reading, further opening up their worlds.
How you can support your child at home
- If possible, read with your child daily; even 15 minutes of reading together each day can create a huge impact.
- You can read sections of the text aloud together. If your child struggles, you might try reading the text to them with expression, and then have them read it aloud back to you.
- For additional practice, watch the recorded read-alouds with your K-2 student or have your grade 3-5 student use the Vocabulary App.
- Find moments to discuss what they are reading and discovering. Examples of questions you could ask: What stood out to you from what you read today? Were any sentences or words confusing? What was your take away from the author’s passage? What do you think the writer was trying to communicate? Do you agree with the writer’s ideas or descriptions? What connections can you make between what you are reading and your own life or other issues?
- Listen to your child read their written responses or have them share with a friend over video chat.
- We recommend reviewing this Protecting Kids Online article by the Federal Trade Commission addressing digital safety.
Download these step-by-step instructions to help your student access the Amplify CKLA Hub.
Your student can access Amplify CKLA’s digital curriculum at home if they are unable to attend school and have internet access. Their teacher will provide login information.
These readers are uniquely designed to provide intensive practice while reading simple but authentic stories.
In grades K-2, these readers are chapter books that allow students to practice just-learned sound-spellings within an authentic reading experience that incorporates compelling plots and interesting characters.
In grades 3-5, readers develop close reading and other literacy skills through a selection of diverse, content-rich literary and informational texts.
Knowledge Builder videos for grades K–2
Each Knowledge Domain starts with a Knowledge Builder video: a short, fun, animated story that enriches the lesson and motivates students with new characters, places, and concepts.
Sound Library for grades K-2
The Sound Library uses audio sounds, catchy songs, and animated articulation videos to help students learn and master sounds.
Vocab App for grades 3-5
The Vocabulary App is designed for independent practice with vocabulary. Students can use the Vocabulary App for game-like activities that challenge them.
Student Activity Books
Part of the daily lessons, these activity pages ask students to respond to the text they’ve read and apply skills and knowledge. They also include assessments that track students’ skills development, to which teachers have access.
Below are quick overviews of the units your student will be working through in their grade throughout the year. Next to each unit are downloadable guides which provide a more in-depth look at the content covered and how you can help your student advance their understanding of the topics.
CKLA Hub for students
We are excited to announce that students will be able to access multimedia resources and engage in a new digital experience on the CKLA Hub. Unlike ever before, students can access digital resources independently from anywhere, taking full advantage of the instructional multimedia experiences that Amplify CKLA has to offer. Students can access the Hub at home, in the classroom, and on the go, making it ideal for remote learning. It’s compatible with laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, and desktops—we’ve also optimized it for mobile devices.
Foundational Skills Boost
Designed for grades 1–3, these video-based, self-guided lessons target critical foundational skills from the previous year’s instruction in order to fill in any gaps. They offer approximately nine weeks of instruction organized as daily lessons, with additional teacher-led small-group activities and family resources.
Recorded daily read-alouds
Teachers and students will have access to video recordings of all K–2 Knowledge Read-Alouds with pictures from the Flip Books.
Each of the grade levels in 3–5 contains a Core Quest. In these special units, all the normal rules of the classroom change, and students engage with language in surprising new ways. For example, in grade 5, they learn to love the dense Shakespearian language of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” through imagery, close reading, and performance.
Where to go for help
Whether you have questions about your technology or want to know more about the program, Amplify’s Support Team is here to help!
Contact Support via telephone at (833) 97-Care-8 (833-972-2738) or email@example.com.
Our support hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET.